Friday, January 25, 2019

My Experience with Wine

I've never been a huge wine person, but I know that partly has to do with the fact that I simply don't have much knowledge under my belt about wine to appreciate it the way I want to. What I do know is that I enjoy having a glass of Prosecco (which may be my favorite) or Moscato once in awhile. Oddly enough, my family are huge red wine people (they specifically love Chianti Classico Reserva), but I am still eager to find a part of me that will hopefully enjoy a glass of red wine with them opposed to just a couple sips.

My family likes to order a bottle of red wine to enjoy with their dinner entrees at restaurants, and I really would only have a couple sips at most since I'm not a big wine drinker. With my family being huge fans of wine, they'd sometimes find a bottle that they really enjoy and I was always so baffled because I wasn't tasting the wine the same way they were, or enjoying it the way I feel like I should.  I never really understood what it was like to enjoy food with a glass of wine like they did considering wine was never my go-to beverage.

Studying abroad last semester in Europe was an extraordinary experience, and I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to go to Tuscany and have my first full wine tasting in a place that, more than definitely, knew exactly what they were talking about. Before this trip, I never understood why people enjoyed having a glass of red wine or a dry white wine since those weren't my favorites. From this experience of being abroad, I was able to learn how to open up my taste buds and try numerous types of wines which opened up a whole new world of flavors that I didn't even know existed. This trip is what ultimately gave me an impetus to want to learn more about wine (the flavors, the sensory experience that comes with the tastings, etc.), and I knew I wanted to learn more than just surface level information, which is what led me to take this class!



No comments:

Post a Comment